A new journey - part 2

(Continued from part 1)

08/26/08 (+262 days) - We have an appointment with our Realtor tonight to put our house on the market. We've been working hard to get the house ready for pictures. You know, doing those small things that we've just lived with for years! Doesn't make sense, does it. On this same day, the company I've worked for for almost 5 yrs, WD Partners, has a "reduction in force". Their second one this year. This time it includes me, along with 20+ others! I'm devastated. They take my BlackBerry (okay, it was theirs, actually) before they see me to the door.

It feels like a longer than normal hour long commute, or so it seems. My head is spinning. I need to tell Sonia. Wait! I have no phone! I need to call a few contacts to get the job search rolling, but I have no phone. I'd like to call some friends to support, but no phone. It was just me and God.

God's timing is impeccable! Knows the "end from the beginning". We, in our finite minds, couldn't understand why there were so many negotiators, roadblocks, delays. Things were now slowly become clearer. What a predicament we would have been in had this moved ahead on "our" timetable.

08/27/08 (+263 days) - So, the job search begins. We're grieving the loss of the house. Sonia doesn't show it, but I know she is hurting. This house really did fit what she had always dreamed about. Our bank says that if I can find another job with comparable pay, we could still go forward with it. I'm cautiously optimistic.

09/05/08 (+272) - The bank assigns a new negotiator (#8!). Hey, they can take as long as they want now! :-) We haven't told them that I am unemployed. We'll wait until they are ready to move forward and hopefully by that time I'll have another job.

09/13/08 (+281) - Pretty bad storms roll thru. We loose some good sized limbs. Fortunately, no damage to our bridge or shed. But, now we have more work to do to get our house ready to sell. But, hey, I have no job, so I can work on clearing the yard!




09/21/08 (+288) - I get a call from a friend at 64 Metals. They are interested in talking with me about a position. They are located in St. Louisville, OH. I've heard of it, but not exactly sure where it is. I look it up on Google Maps. "A" is the house we've put an offer on. "B" is 64 Metals.


View Larger Map

Just amazing! After almost 20 yrs of driving to Columbus (~35 miles each way), here is a possible opportunity less than 2 miles from the house we wanted to buy! Doubt God? Are you kidding?!

09/23/08 (+290) - I have my interview with 64 Metals. It goes well. They are doing some great things, but realize to they need to begin bringing on more "professionals" to grow the business the way they want to. I'm humbled to be someone they consider one of these "professionals".

Sonia and I talk, and pray, about the decision. It is a cut in pay, so the new house is questionable. But getting a job is our first priority. And we're convinced more than ever of God's providential hand. So, "What? Me worry?" :-)

After some negotiation, I accept the position.

09/30/08 (+297) - I start my new job. Its a refreshing change of pace & people. I love the 15 min. commute! Sorta. My hour long commute each way, each day, was "my time". It was time for me to unwind (if traffic cooperated!). It was time to listen to books on CD, music, make phone calls, or just turn off the all the noise completely to just have time to think. I'll miss this.

10/01/08 (+298) - We contact our bank to discuss the new job and whether my adjusted pay will still work with the new house. Our Realtor says that the other bank said the still needed about 2 weeks. We've heard that before! :-)

10/06/08 (+304) - Our bank says that we can still make it work. We can't believe it!

10/10/08 (+307) - Our Realtor calls at 7:30pm. The other bank (on the west coast) just called her and said that they accepted our offer. Wait, can you repeat that?! Can someone pinch me? Only 172 days (almost 6 mos) since we made the offer, but who's counting?!


10/12/08 (+309) - We obviously decide to move forward with putting our house on the market.
Today is Sonia's
40th birthday. Not sure what that has to do with this whole story, but just wanted everyone to know! :-) 40 never looked better, though (IMO)!


11/07/08 (+335) - We closed on the house today. Wow! So, when I said "
...we've bought a house! It sounds easy and straightforward, but it has been far from it", now you know what I meant! Over 11 months since our first look. Almost 7 months since our offer. "And now you know the rest of the story!"


That night, we were honored to have our first guests! (technically, others had visited the house before, but tonight it was officially ours!) There was a little contention regarding who was invited first, and who actually arrived first. The list of guests (in no particular order!) was: Kevin & Tanya Bergenthun with their daughters, Kayla & Kenna, Karl & Yvonne Lohr, and Eric & Kelly Wallace.




If you followed along thru this lengthy journey, thanks. Please stop by if you are in the Newark, Ohio area. I will continue to chronicle the journey ahead. I promise they won't be this long!

We've got some work to do. Bring your work clothes!

2 comments:

Bill said...

Great post my friend! Talk about a God thing! I'm forwarding the link to Pat who is the "help others work scheduler!" We wnt to get up there and lend a hand! Have a good "commute" to work!

blads said...

It certainly was a great post and we'd love to see place next time we're passing thro' Newark Ohio :)