A "new" twist on hiking - heli-hiking!


One a recent business trip, I saw a short article about a new sport: Heli-hiking! In a nutshell, you got ported via chopper to some obscure location and get to hike out. Hopefully! :-)

I called it a "new" sport. Well, if you ever think you've heard (or thought) of something new, just go to Google to be humbled! My Google search for "heli-hiking" returned 163,000 hits! Okay, so it is new to me.

The one I read about on the plane was by a company called Canadian Mountain Holidays. They've been around for 40 years. So much for "new"! They offer other heli-sports; heli-skiing & heli-snowboarding. Pricing ranges from about $1700 to $4400. I'm sure the sights are spectacular, as a quick search on Flickr can attest.

You can also do some heli-hiking in the Rockies and at the Grand Canyon.

Maybe someday. Meanwhile, I stick to hikes I can drive to! Gas prices are bad, but I can drive to a lot of nice hiking spots for $1700!

Happy hiking (or heli-hiking)!


No comments: